Saturday, February 13, 2010

Agility Weekend

We entered our first agility trial in over a month. Lately Whisper is doing pretty well in the trials-we seem to have a Q rate about 75% of the time. Gosh but does that make the MACH title seem a far away goal. She seems to qualify more often in Jumpers than Standard. The show this weekend was in my least favorite place. The location is dirty, rings are very small and the courses are always tight. The below Jumpers run was one of the most confusing I have run. We went over the same jump 4 times. During the walk through all the handlers were laughing saying if lost just go over the blue jump. Luckily we remembered the course and Whisper is good about being called off an incorrect jump. Suprisingly this was her fastest speed run to date-she ran the course at 5.24 yds/sec. I ran it much slower.

">

The really good handlers are able to communicate direction to their dogs through their body language. Some how no matter how hard I try to run the course silently I seem to talk ALOT. In these videos I am back to hand clapping. Yikes I thought I was done with that. However the rings were very small for the number of obstacles, so clapping or talking seemed to resurface in my handling.



">

The second day the video person missed her standard run but her Jumpers run earned her another QQ.

3 comments:

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Talking a lot seems to be working really well... I wouldn't change a thing. :-)

Anonymous said...

What to go, Whisper and Helen!! :)

Donna

Muttsandaklutz said...

I hope you have a lot more trials coming up, because I want to watch a lot more videos of you guys in action!

Those Jumpers runs were fantastic. Whisper looks soooo happy and it can NOT have been easy keeping such a big, long-striding dog from taking an offcourse jump in those tight courses.