Saturday, December 26, 2009

Tracking




I live in an excellent dog friendly town-Livermore. Within minutes are parks to teach tracking or other parks to practice obedience.





After Christmas my tracking buddy and good friend Sherry and I met at a local park to lay track. Whisper is training for her TDX this year with Lyric waiting in the wings and Echo is just starting. Since TDX is so time consuming to teach generally I focus on one dog only at this level. Whisper's track was TDX length 800+ yds with plenty of obstacles and road/path crossing although was only 1 1/2-2 hrs old. Normally when training, we only practice either age or length but rarely both at the same time.



While waiting for Whisper's track to age we worked on Echo. She did super and is now doing short 15 minute old tracks with turns.



After Whisper's track aged we ran her and she did awesome. No mistakes and tremendous enthusiam. I feel she is ready to enter a TDX trial. The video below is of a TDX type track but warning it is a long video. Most if not all my dogs complete their TDX in about 30 minutes. This is an 8 minute video but shows tracking at its best. My brother is videoing and didn't realize his comments were being recorded. He is a good sport but not a dog person.

">

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Start filling out those TDX entry forms!! Good job!!

Donna