Saturday, March 3, 2012

BISS GCH Aryal Aroi Stoney Ridge VCD1 RE AX AXJ SC



Lyric earned her AX qualifing 4 out of 6 runs and with all 2nd places. The tire jump has been her nemesis-a large part of why she hasn't done standard agility.She always jumps kicking with her hind feet and it scares her. That and the fact she was injured in a tunnel as a youngster has caused her to distrust the agility ring. With enough time and rewards she was willing to try to play the game again. She earned her jumpers titles and it was time to figure out how to overcome the tire jump issue.



I can not figure out why she takes the tire jump the way she does. I have tried changing her take off position, running at it fast, running at it slow, nothing changes how she jumps the tire. I have noticed her jumping style is not the same as Whisper's. In fact when she takes the regular jumps sometimes she jumps normally, sometimes she high kicks. But I did discover how to convince her to take the tire most of the time. Notice my hand coming up to the tire-I am "throwing" and telling her to "go". At home we practice with the actual tire jump and she is more than willing to go through it. Just prior to entering the ring we practice throwing food over the practice jump. So she is hoping food will appear on the other side of the tire jump.



Now my goal with her has been accomplished, an AX and AXJ and with 8 MACH points. I wish her third AX video hadn't been cut short. I was so excited she Qed I started making a huge noise. She got so excited she got the scooties and circled me several times before I could catch her. Anyone who knows Lyric knows what a serious dog she is-she was as excited as I was.

4 comments:

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Wow, nasty weave entrace on that first video. I don't think I've seen one that tough in AKC agility before.

Poor Lyric on the tire jump. But that great she is just working thru it.

Way to go Lyric!

Anonymous said...

Yea, Team Lyric and Helen!!! LOVE the first photo of her jumping on this blog post. :)

Donna

Greyhounds CAN Sit said...

Gosh, I see what you mean about the tire jump. That is a strange jumping style through it. But no wonder she's not keen on the tire! Congratulations on all those initials!

Hiking Hounds said...

Congratulations! Lyric looks great. I would have loved to see her scooting around, it sounds so cute.